What You Can Win?
The Youth Sustainability Investment Challenge (YSIC), hosted by the Youth Entrepreneurship and Finance Association (YEFA) and sponsored by Global Alliance, is an ESG-centered portfolio management competition. In YSIC, students will have the opportunity to think creatively, build their own unique strategies, and test out various financial instruments. Each student/team will start out with $1,000,000 in cash and have roughly 3 months to construct an ESG-oriented portfolio. Any stock and bond listed on a YSIC-approved stock exchange or bond exchange will be allowed for trading during the competition. Finalists (top 10 global students/teams) will have the opportunity to pitch their investment strategy to a panel of distinguished Wall Street judges, compete in New York City for a $10,000 cash prize pool, and attend a unique networking event in NYC with industry-leading professionals.
Sustainabilily: ESG Strategy
Environmental, Social, and Corporate Governance (ESG) is an approach of assessing the extent to which a company is working on behalf of social objectives that go beyond its role to maximize profits on behalf of its shareholders. ESG analysis has become an increasingly important part of the investment process. A key motivation for investment professionals to incorporate environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues into their financial analysis is to gain a fuller understanding of the companies in which they invest.
In the Youth Sustainability Investment Challenge (YSIC™), we ask participants to incorporate ESG-related principles into their overall investment strategies & investment decisions-making processes. Participants may implement different approaches in integrating ESG analysis into their investment processes. Further ESG-related educational study materials / webinars will be provided by YEFA.
- – You may compete individually or as part of a team of up to 3 people.
- – Students must be in grades 7-12 as of the 2022-23 school year.
- – Each team must be registered by their team leader. The team leader is the student responsible for staying up to date with YSIC™ updates and submitting the competition’s deliverables.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: If you want to participate in this competition as a team but have a hard time finding your teammates, you can join our competition’s Discord server to find potential teammates there.
- The Discord QR code can be found in the More Info section on this page.
- – Each student/team will start out with $1,000,000 in cash
- – Any stock & bond that is listed on a YSIC-approved stock exchange & bond exchange will be allowed for trading during the competition
- – Each trade will incur NO broker commission fee
- – Teams must have made a minimum of 5 trades by 11:59 pm EST on 10/28/2022; otherwise, you will be disqualified.
- – Teams will be required to write a 1-2 sentence note on the trading platform following each trade in order to explain how the transaction fits into the overall investment strategy
- – Halted, restricted, and blocked stocks will not be available for trading. Any trade that is confirmed after trading has been halted will be reversed.
- – There is no interest income in the trading account.
- – Any information or data related to the Youth Sustainability Investment Challenge (YSIC™) is only contest-related and does not indicate any trading/investing recommendations or profit promises in the real stock market. YEFA is not responsible for actual profit or loss in a participant’s real personal brokerage account.
- – YEFA reserves the right to modify the competition rules, awards, and any other instructions over the entire duration of the Youth Sustainability Investment Competition (YSIC™).
What can we offer?
We will be judging you primarily on the 3 deliverables you present to us.
– Students will be judged on their portfolio’s performance in the first round of YSIC™.
– The YSIC™ team will be crosschecking students’ trades with their proposed investment strategy.
More information about these deliverables as well as YSIC™’s judging criteria will be released through the duration of the competition
You will be judged on your portfolio performance (based on your investment strategy) to be selected as a Quarter-Finalist – that means, you won’t be required to submit your investment strategy report until you are selected as the Quarter-Finalists
You will be judged on your portfolio performance (based on your investment strategy) to be selected as a Semi-Finalist – that means, you won’t be required to submit your investment strategy report until you are selected as the Semi-Finalists
Global Finalist Qualification:
You will be judged on your investment strategy report after you are selected as the Semi-Finalists
Your investment strategy report will be judged both on its comprehensiveness and their uniqueness – and more information will be provided as the competition progresses
Dates & Timeline
2022-2023 Key Dates
September 10th, 2022
September 12th, 2022
November 21st, 2022
Trading ends & quarterfinalists (top 60) announcement
December 4th, 2022
Quarterfinalists (top 60) final reports due
December 15th, 2022
Top 30 semifinalists announced
January 14th, 2023
Top 10 finalists announced & YSIC conference in NYC
Registration ends on:
September 10th, 2022